I'm a BAFTA award winning television director who has helped create some of the UK’s most popular TV shows. I have a passion for sustainability and the environment and live in rural Wiltshire within the Avebury World Heritage Site with my partner Robert, an artist & writer and our two Borzoi’s Sky & Freya.
Directing is my passion - I’m one of the UK’s most experienced multi-camera entertainment directors. I bring over 30 years of valuable production experience in which I’ve directed, produced and executive produced shows. I am also an Environmental Production Consultant and I play a leading role on the board of Directors UK where I’m committed to promoting the work of all directors and passionate about helping train the next generation.
I specialise in directing multi-camera OB & studio based entertainment shows & events. I direct single and multi-camera programmes across a number of genres including, entertainment, factual, cookery, science, reality, game-shows, quizzes. I’m particularly experienced at shooting live music.
I help make TV green, advising, guiding and encouraging sustainable activities in all aspects of programme-making. I can create an environmental management system for your company or production that will reduce your carbon footprint, saving money that can be spent on screen.
I am Chair of Directors UK, the professional association of UK screen directors, with just under 7000 members - the majority of working TV and film directors in the UK. The organisation is both a collective management organisation for distributing secondary rights payments and royalties to directors, and a campaigning body seeking to protect and enhance the creative, economic and contractual rights of directors and giving directors a powerful and united voice at the centre of the industry. We provide a range of services to our members including campaigning and lobbying, commercial negotiations, legal advice, events, training and career development.
Throughout my career I’ve worked on a wide range of programmes and recent projects include; The Graham Norton Show (So Television for BBC1), The Great British Bake Off - An Extra Slice (Love Productions for Channel Four) , John Bishop in Conversation (Lola Television for UKTV W), please check out some of my recent work below.
I’m a highly skilled, single and multi-camera director specialising in comedy, entertainment and factual-entertainment programmes. I have considerable LIVE broadcast experience and specialise in helping create new shows, taking projects from the ideas stage through to pilot and onto successful, returning series.
In addition to directing, I have also produced and executive produced shows. I have considerable boardroom experience as a non-executive director and Chair of Directors UK. In 2010 I became a BAFTA Youth Mentor and volunteer as a ambassador for the Public Service Broadcasting Trust advising on Fixers - a charity helping young people. I also work closely with the BAFTA albert Consortium, as an albert ambassador helping guide productions through the albert certification process, an environmental management system that everyone working in the media is being encouraged to adopt.
- Multi-Camera Directing / Series Director / Studio Director / Single Camera Director / Location Director / Edit Director
- Complex Show Management including Scriptwriting, Scheduling, Budgeting,
- Extensive live TV experience, working under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Providing Creative Leadership to large teams + supervising set, graphic & costume design teams.
- Directing the public, actors, comedians, journalists, musicians, dancers & children.
- Writing programme proposals & programme budgets
- Setting up complex, big-budget major entertainment studio and ON based shows
- Director Training & Mentoring - running complex multi-camera director training courses
- Corporate Governance and Board Room experience as Chairman of a large membership organisation distributing millions of pounds annually in royalties.